Help Bring Boo Home to the Overstreets

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Birthday Cakes



My favorite memories of my birthdays are of my mom baking my cakes. We would always choose the PERFECT cake and she would make it for me. I don't remember many gifts, but I remember the cakes. I hope my kids feel the same when they get older. I've made every cake, except my oldest ones first cake.
This year, Julianne wanted two cakes, a princess cake, and a castle cake. Everything had to be pink. Pink castle, pink Barbie, pink everything. I found the castle cake in the Wilton beginner cake book/magazine. It was really pretty easy. Bake two 10 inch cakes (I used two box mixes for this one). Frost with homemade buttercream frosting tinted to the brightest shade of pink possible. Cut off the base of four ice cream cones and pipe with prepared frosting. Top five cones with sugar cones and secure with piped icing. We didn't use candies like the book suggested. For the Barbie princess cake, we used the Wilton Wonder Mold. This was the second time we've used the wonder mold. Last year we did the mermaid on the box.

No comments: