Help Bring Boo Home to the Overstreets

Monday, June 28, 2010

Julez new dress

My five year old thinks she is really 16. She loves to have her hair straightened, make-up on, and of course clothes that look like her Aunt Nicole's. We've seen the cute little elastic waist dresses around, but not in her size. I knew they wouldn't be too hard to make, so I picked up some supplies at Wal-Mart when I went to visit Dad (it's the only walmart around that still has fabric). I didn't want to spend a fortune on a dress I didn't have a pattern for or really know what I was doing. I got some sassy rocker girl fabric that sparkles, a tank top, and some extra wide elastic (I think it's 1 1/2" wide).


First, the girls (I made Emma one too) tried on their shirts and I marked right under the armpits to cut it off. Cut off the tank. Next, iron on a small strip of fusible interface to the cut edge to keep it from streching too much. Then, I sewed the elastic on to the right side of the tank. Cut the skirt. I measured the girls and doubled the waist measurement and then determined how long I wanted it. Julez's is pretty short--about 12 inches. I sewed two rows of elastic thread to gather the waist and give it stretch when I sewed it to the elastic. Next, I hemmed to where I wanted. It ended up a little short, but we wear shorts under all our dresses anyway. Attach the skirt to the bottom of the elastic and you're done. Cute, big girl dress!!